Coach: Player didn't fulfill conditions
Incognito, who withdrew from Nebraska after being suspended from the team for disciplinary problems, enrolled at Oregon last week and was on scholarship. He never practiced with the team.
"There were conditions we had set down and set forth for him to be admitted to our program, and they were not met," Bellotti told The Oregonian.
Bellotti did not elaborate.
Incognito, a 6-foot-3, 300-pound junior from Glendale, Ariz., was an all-Big 12 selection last year. He has one season of eligibility left.
The Cornhuskers suspended him indefinitely for what coach Bill Callahan called repeated violations of team rules.
In February, Incognito was charged with three counts of assault stemming from a fight at a party. He was found guilty of one misdemeanor assault charge after a three-day trial in June and paid a $500 fine. Another charge was dismissed, and he was found not guilty of the third.
When Bellotti announced that Incognito was coming to Oregon, he said the lineman had to complete an anger-management course and adhere to a strict code of conduct.
Bellotti said the decision to grant the release was made Thursday. He said Incognito has contacted other schools to inquire about transferring.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Source: Ex-judge to conduct Winston hearing
- Sources: Syracuse to face NCAA Oct. 30-31
- Michigan to drop price of student tickets in '15
- No. 18 East Carolina holds off upstart UConn