Sanford interviews on Monday for UNLV job
SALT LAKE CITY -- While the University of Utah waits to see whether head coach Urban Meyer is lured away by the University of Florida, one of his top assistants has become a candidate to move up as well.
Utes offensive coordinator Mike Sanford will interview Monday to become the head coach at UNLV, where veteran John Robinson coached his final game Saturday. Sanford, 49, coached for Robinson at USC during Sanford's eight seasons with the Trojans (1989-96).
Robinson, who won a national championship at USC in 1978, announced his retirement earlier this season. The Rebels lost their final five games this season to finish 2-9, 1-6 and last in the Mountain West Conference.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- WVU QB Trickett (concussions) quits football
- Richt: Bulldogs RB Gurley heading to NFL
- It's official: Narduzzi takes over at Pittsburgh
- Briles' son promoted to Baylor off. coordinator
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Why Patterson Won Best Coach
- Two-time COY