Minnesota's SEC opponent not yet picked
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota will play in the Music City Bowl in Nashville, Tenn., on Dec. 31, athletics director Joel Maturi said Sunday.
"They've officially invited the Gophers, and we have officially accepted," Maturi told WCCO Radio.
Minnesota will play an SEC opponent at noon ET, he said, adding that an opponent had yet to be named.
The team scheduled a news conference for Sunday afternoon.
The Gophers started this season 5-0 and were ranked as high as No. 13 in both major polls, fueling speculation that they might play in a prestigious New Year's Day bowl game. However, they lost five of their last six games to finish 6-5 overall -- 3-5 in the Big Ten and eighth in the conference.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- QBs fail to impress in Alabama spring game
- Texas LB Edmond: Loss to 'trash' Baylor hurts
- Sources: Wittek visits Texas for spring game
- Strong era begins at Texas with shaky QB play
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Minnesota Golden Gophers Maroon Football Practice Legend T-Shirt