<
>

DeLeone is man behind freeze option

1/5/2005

Syracuse: The man behind Syracuse football's freeze option offense is headed to the University of Mississippi.

Longtime Syracuse assistant coach George DeLeone has accepted a job as the offensive line coach at Ole Miss, the Syracuse Post-Standard reported.

Officials at Syracuse aren't confirming DeLeone's departure, but the
newspaper reports that he has already started his new job.

At Mississippi, DeLeone will reunite with Ed Orgeron, another
former Syracuse coach. Orgeron coached the defensive line for
national champion Southern Cal in its 55-19 rout of Oklahoma in Tuesday night's
Orange Bowl. He was hired in mid-December to replace David
Cutcliffe after Mississippi's 4-7 season.

DeLeone's reported departure comes a week after Syracuse head
coach Paul Pasqualoni was fired following his 14th season with the
Orange.

Hawaii: Running back West Keliikipi
pleaded no contest to a second-degree felony theft charge
stemming from a scheme to defraud Kaiser Medical Center of
$150,000.

Defense attorney Michael Green asked Circuit Judge Richard
Pollack to defer accepting the plea, which would allow Keliikipi to
avoid having a criminal record if he stays out of trouble and
complies with conditions similar to probation for the next five
years.

Green said after the hearing that a deferral could increase
Keliikipi's prospects of playing professional football. Keliikipi,
24, last month completed his senior football season.

Keliikipi said he has been invited to play in the Jan. 22 Hula
Bowl and still hopes to have a shot at playing professional
football.

Pollack scheduled a hearing on the deferral request for March
17. Deputy Prosecutor Randal Lee would not say if he plans to
oppose the request.

The plea agreement requires Keliikipi to testify against others
in the theft case, if necessary, and to cooperate with an ongoing
investigation by the state Attorney General's Office into an
automobile insurance fraud investigation. Neither Green nor Lee
would comment on the fraud investigation.

Michigan: Larry Harrison Jr., a defensive tackle previously charged with misdemeanor indecent exposure, was arraigned Tuesday in Ann Arbor on four felony counts, according to a Detroit News report.

Harrison, who was arrested early the morning of Dec. 7, pleaded not guilty, Ann Arbor police Detective Chris Fitzpatrick told the newspaper. The junior was suspended from the team after his arrest.

Harrison is charged with four counts of indecent exposure with an enhancement for sexually delinquent behavior in connection with four separate incidents, Fitzpatrick told the News, adding that the maximum penalty is life in prison.

Police have said Harrison also is a suspect in a series of similar incidents.

Oklahoma State: A woman who accused four former Oklahoma State
University football players of sexual assault has been granted
another hearing to determine whether she should be awarded money
damages from two players still named in her civil lawsuit.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ordered an Oklahoma
district judge to reassess whether the woman, former OSU student
Alison Jennings, should be granted money damages from former OSU
players J.B. Flowers and Evan Howell. No criminal charges were
filed.

A three-judge panel overturned the decision of a federal judge
in Oklahoma City, who refused to hold another hearing after
Jennings and her attorney showed up 20 minutes late to a hearing in
October 2003. The judge waited about 15 minutes before awarding no
money to Jennings.

Jennings filed a lawsuit against four former players in July
2001, saying they sexually assaulted her during a party at a
residence in Stillwater, Okla., on Nov. 21, 1999.

The two other former players, Marcellus Rivers of the New York
Giants and Alvin Porter, formally of the Cincinnati Bengals and
Baltimore Ravens, settled with Jennings for an undisclosed amount
in July 2003.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.