Welsh led '52 Trojans to Rose Bowl win
LOS ANGELES -- Lou Welsh, captain of the 1952 Southern California team that beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, has died. He was 73.
The school said Welsh died Monday in Reno, Nev. No cause of death was given.
Welsh was a three-year letterman center and linebacker for the Trojans and earned All-Conference honors as a senior in 1952. Southern Cal won its first nine games that season and finished 10-1 after a 7-0 victory over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.
Welsh is survived by his wife, Mary, his brother, seven children and 24 grandchildren.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth USC Trojans Cardinal #9 Football Game Jersey
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider