USC quarterback selected as first recipient
NEW ORLEANS -- University of Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart accepted the first annual Manning Award from Nokia Sugar Bowl officials Tuesday night.
"It's an honor to be selected the inaugural Manning Award winner," Leinart said. "It's a surreal moment. I grew up watching these guys play and now I finally get to meet them. It's also a special moment for me because I get to enjoy this with my family."
Leinart, also the Heisman Trophy winner for two-time defending national champion Southern Cal, was selected in voting by a media panel, the Mannings and a former Sugar Bowl MVP quarterback.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- QBs fail to impress in Alabama spring game
- Texas LB Edmond: Loss to 'trash' Baylor hurts
- Sources: Wittek visits Texas for spring game
- Strong era begins at Texas with shaky QB play
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- USC Authentic Apparel Youth USC Trojans Cardinal QB Helmet T-Shirt