Sophomore charged with hitting man outside bar
LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Kansas leading rusher John Randle was dismissed from the team Monday after being charged with hitting a man outside a bar.
Randle, a sophomore, was charged with misdemeanor battery for allegedly striking a man early Sunday morning in front of a downtown bar. Police said an officer saw the altercation and arrested the 20-year-old Randle.
Randle led Kansas with 540 yards rushing last season.
"We will continue to support and help John in any way we possibly can," coach Mark Mangino said in a statement released Monday night. "We have encouraged him to continue his education at KU. If he decides to do so, we will honor his scholarship."
Randle was ordered to appear in Douglas County District Court on April 14.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- CFP: First four unchanged, but Ole Miss falls
- Meyer's message: OSU better behave vs. U-M
- Hundley indicates he won't return to UCLA
- Big Ten denies appeal of Buckeyes' Spence
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Jansport Men's Kansas Jayhawks Crimson Logo Universitee Football T-shirt