Suspension 'due to athletic department policy'
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina running back Cory Boyd has been suspended from the team for violating athletic department policy.
School spokeswoman Michelle Schmitt said Thursday in a statement that while Boyd "is a student in good standing with the University and currently enrolled in classes, he is not part of the football team due to athletic department policy."
After the dismissal of running back Demetris Summers and receiver Troy Williamson's leap to the NFL, Boyd was to be the Gamecocks' top returning rusher and receiver.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Texas' Brown poised to step down
- Sources: Alabama offers Saban new extension
- Four QBs, two RBs named Heisman finalists
- Michigan's Gardner (turf toe) expected for bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Youth South Carolina Gamecocks Garnet Football T-Shirt