Ledbetter has surgery to repair torn tendon in thigh
SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah senior defensive end Marquess Ledbetter will miss the 2005 season after having surgery to repair a torn tendon in his right thigh.
Ledbetter, a starter the last two seasons, tore the tendon while lifting weights. He had surgery Friday.
"We lose a great player," defensive coordinator Gary Andersen said. "More than anything, the hard part for me is it's a kid that's done everything we've asked of him."
Ledbetter was one of five returning defensive starters for the Utes. He tied for the team lead in sacks last year with 4.5, getting two in a 35-7 win over Pittsburgh in the Fiesta Bowl that capped a 12-0 season.
Sophomore Martail Burnett will take over Ledbetter's spot when camp opens next month.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Texas' Brown poised to step down
- Sources: Alabama offers Saban new extension
- Source: Boise State hires Harsin as coach
- Four QBs, two RBs named Heisman finalists
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's Utah Utes Black #15 Replica Football Jersey