Katrina aftermath: Cities offer to host bowl games
MasterCard Alamo Bowl president and CEO Derrick Fox told The Dallas Morning News he's invited Sugar Bowl officials to move their game to San Antonio.
BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg spoke to Nokia Sugar Bowl president Mark Romig, but no decision had been made about whether the game would be played in the Superdome, BCS spokesman Bob Burda said.
New Orleans Bowl
The New Orleans Bowl, which pits the Sun Belt and Conference USA champions on Dec. 20, is another postseason game whose status is unknown.
"At this point, it's just too early to speculate," Burda told the paper.
"I'm 100 percent sure that the game will be played this year, but I'm zero percent sure where it will be," Sun Belt commissioner Wright Waters said. "I don't think it will be in the Superdome. But Dec. 20 is a long way away. Memphis and Lafayette have expressed interest in it. There are other places that have expressed interest and we will try to make sure the game occurs,''
The Sun Belt Conference office had to move to Lafayette from its headquarters in New Orleans.
These Div. I (I-A, I-AA) college football games have been either canceled or postponed:
Date 9/1 Jacksonville at SE Louisiana canceled 9/3 North Texas at LSU postponed 9/3 Nicholls State at Utah State canceled 9/3 Grambling at Alcorn State postponed 9/3 Southern at McNeese State canceled 9/3 Texas Southern at Prairie View A&M postponed 9/4 Tulane at Southern Miss postponed
The only postponement that has announced a tentative make-up date is Tulane-Southern Miss, which is planning for Nov. 26 IF Tulane University decides to field athletic teams for the fall semester.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- Seahawks' Sherman, Bennett rip 'scam' NCAA
- Sources: ACC to count BYU among Power 5
- Former PSU player Taliaferro now lawmaker
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Hurricane Katrina Coverage
• NFL's Katrina telethon raises $5 million
• NCAA won't change transfer waiver process
• Oklahoma City possible site for Hornets
• New Orleans Bowl may move to Lafayette
• NFL's Week 2 'Hurricane Relief'
• With hotels, Sugar Bowl to be at LSU
• Giants to redecorate stadium in Saints' colors
• Tulane to wear commemorative patches
• Superdome to be decontaminated
• Auburn player learns brothers alive
• Mississippi State-Tulane to hold telethon
• Bucher: Mr. Rogers' neighborhood
• NBA charity game lifts spirits
• Favre's hometown normal -- for a few hours
• ABC News coverage of Katrina