RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina State defensive end Mario
Williams will give up his final year of eligibility to enter the
NFL draft after a season in which he led the Atlantic Coast
Conference in sacks.
The decision by the 6-foot-7, 290-pounder on Tuesday had been
"I really have to face the fact that I'm leaving a great family
here," Williams said during a news conference attended by coach
Chuck Amato. "I'm going to be in the real world now."
Williams had two sacks to help the Wolfpack beat South Florida
14-0 last week in the Meineke Car Care Bowl, giving him a
school-record 26 for his career. He had 13 sacks this season as a
junior and finished his career with 55½ tackles for loss -- both
NC State records.
"As a parent and as a coach, you always hate to see an athlete
leave before they get an education," Amato said. "That being
said, I 100 percent support this young man's decision."