Memphis coach West has triple bypass surgery
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Memphis football coach Tommy West had triple bypass heart surgery Friday and was resting comfortably in an intensive care unit, the school said.
West, 51, entered Baptist Memorial Hospital for previously scheduled tests and later had the surgery, the university said in a news release.
"It is anticipated that he could be released early next week to return home for recovery," officials said.
West has been Tigers coach for five years, and also has been head coach at Clemson and Chattanooga.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Four QBs, two RBs named Heisman finalists
- Clowney gets ticket for driving 110 in S.C.
- Wake Forest hires coach Clawson of BGSU
- Okla. St. to discipline cheerleader over gaffe
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Memphis Tigers Blue Legend Football Practice Performance T-Shirt