Stanford hires Sams to coach offensive line
STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford hired Doug Sams on Monday as offensive line coach for tackles and tight ends.
Sams replaces John McDonell, who left the school to join the coaching staff at Purdue.
Sams most recently was the head coach at Northern Michigan University the past four seasons (2002-05). His contract was not renewed after his team went 2-8 last season.
"Doug is a veteran coach who will be able to come in and have a positive impact immediately," Stanford coach Walt Harris said. "He is experienced in coaching offensive football and his technical knowledge will be an asset to our program. We're very fortunate to have Doug join our staff," he said.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Chippewas' rally, lateral heroics not enough
- Harbaugh's brother: Family staying out of it
- FSU's Cook named 'associate' in police report
- Jackson helms Rice to win in Hawaii Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Stanford Cardinal Rose Bowl Game Mascot T-shirt