Adair, 21, had transferred to Tulsa
TULSA, Okla. -- University of Tulsa football player Devin Adair died Friday following a weeklong illness.
Adair, 21, transferred from El Camino Junior College in California. The Manhattan Beach, Calif., native started school in January and went through Tulsa's spring football drills in March.
Adair was first hospitalized last weekend, but was believed to have made progress during the past few days.
"Words cannot describe the grief and sadness the entire football program is feeling at this time," Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe said in a statement. "Even though Devin was at Tulsa for just a short time, he made a lasting impression upon all of us that had an opportunity to know him."
Kragthorpe met with the Tulsa football team Friday evening.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- McCarron: Saban said he's staying at Bama
- Texas' Brown: My situation hasn't changed
- A&M's Manziel ready to take it to next level
- Bowl dispels rumors, 'no doubt' about Duke
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Tulsa Golden Hurricane Blue Football Practice Performance T-Shirt