Redshirt freshman Smith steps in for injured starter Stull
Pittsburgh will start redshirt freshman quarterback Kevan Smith against Grambling State on Saturday, according to a source familiar with the decision.
Coach Dave Wannstedt had considered unveiling highly-touted true freshman quarterback Pat Bostick, who still could play. But Smith will get the start for the Panthers (1-0) against Grambling State (1-0, 1-0 SWAC) on Saturday at Heinz Field (12 p.m. ET, ESPN360.com).
Junior Bill Stull is out four-to-six weeks after undergoing surgery Monday to repair a torn thumb ligament that he sustained during his first college start.
Stull, a junior from Pittsburgh, was hurt when his thumb was bent backward on a handoff during the third quarter of a 24-3 victory over Eastern Michigan last week.
Television reporter Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- FSU's Wilson suspended after arrest for theft
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- Top QB commit: No 'Johnny Football' pressure
- Tempe game changes name to Cactus Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Pitt Panthers Full-Size Autograph Football