Luke owns 26-8 career record as starter for Bulldogs
A look at the HBCU schools.
Updated: September 19, 2007, 7:18 PM ETBy Donald Hunt | Special to ESPN.com
The SWAC is loaded with great players like Jay Peck (Alabama State), Jarmaul George (Southern) and Zach East (Prairie View A&M) -- just to name a few.
HBCU football on ESPNU:
• Morgan State at Hampton
7:30 p.m. ET, Thursday
• Complete TV schedule
• ESPNU TV schedule
• Alabama State running back Jay Peck was named the SWAC Offensive Player of the Week. Peck had 35 carries for 146 yards. It was his second consecutive 100-yard game this season and the seventh of his career. Southern defensive end Vincent Lands was named SWAC Defensive Player of the Week. Land had eight tackles (five solo) to go along with 4.5 tackles for loss and three sacks. Jaymar Johnson tallied 117 yards and a touchdown on two punt returns to help Jackson State defeat Texas Southern, 28-7. Johnson, Jackson State's senior wide receiver and return specialist, was named SWAC Specialist of the Week. • Morgan State running back Chad Simpson rushed for a career-best 221 yards on 41 carries including a 33-yard TD as Morgan State fell in the final seconds to Winston-Salem State. Simpson was named the MEAC Offensive Player of the Week. Tyrone McGriff led Florida A&M in tackles with 11, eight solo, in a 30-17 win over Howard. McGriff was named the MEAC Defensive Player of the Week. • Florida A&M running back Phillip Sylvester was one of two players to post more than 200 yards rushing in the MEAC last week. Sylvester rushed for 222 yards on 21 carries. He earned MEAC Rookie of the Week honors. • Morgan State offensive tackle Dakarai Grimsley played extremely well against Winston-Salem State. Grimsley graded out a 98 percent on his assignments and collected five pancake blocks as he helped the Bears to 366 total offensive yards against the Rams. • Hampton place-kicker Carlo Turavani was 8-for-8 on extra-point attempts, and he had a 28-yard field goal as the Pirates defeated North Carolina A&T, 59-14. Donald Hunt is a columnist for The Philadelphia Tribune.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: UM optimistic at landing Harbaugh
- RB Johnson leaving Miami, will enter draft
- PSU edges BC in OT to claim Pinstripe Bowl
- USC holds on in wild Holiday win over Huskers