Peck proves good things come to those who wait
A look at the HBCU schools.
When Jay Peck came to Alabama State four years ago, he hardly received any playing time. Peck, a 5-foot, 11-inch, 200-pound senior, played behind former Alabama State running backs Robert Randolph and Keldrick Williams, who were two of the best rushers in the SWAC.
HBCU football on ESPNU:
• Norfolk State at North Carolina A&T
7:30 p.m. ET, Thursday
• Complete TV schedule
• ESPNU TV schedule
"He's patient. He lets the guys set up his blocks well. He's making a lot of plays for us. We're going to lean on him again to rush the ball and get us to where we need to be."Barlow is going to need a big game from Peck when ASU (4-0) plays host to Southern University (4-0) at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala. on Saturday. The ground attack will be important for the Hornets because they have to slow down the Jaguars' outstanding defense. Barlow expects Southern to keep a close eye on Peck. There's no secret that he's the focal point of the offense. But in spite of the extra attention, he still manages to put up big numbers. "It's a tribute to our O-line," Barlow said. "Even though teams are preparing for him, those guys have been creating positive running lanes and our receivers are doing a good job of blocking for him. Our [offensive] coordinator [Maurice] Harris is finding ways to get him the ball. We've put him at tailback and wide receiver." This should be an interesting matchup. Neither ASU or Southern were predicted to be frontrunners in the SWAC. Then again, nobody expected Peck to be a big-time player when he joined the Hornets' program. "I'm not sure anybody believed he would be as good a running back as he's turned out to be," Barlow said. "He's one of those guys who just gets it. You know what you're going to get from him every day. He comes to practice and works hard. He's already graduated. He understands what he's here for."
Catch up on the latest news from around the country in ESPN.com's conference notebooks.
|• ACC: Georgia Tech reeling after ACC losses
• Big 12: Texas Tech shakes up defense
• Big East: Syracuse's Robinson shows maturity
• Big Ten: Nittany Lions hope to find MIA offense
• HBCU (Free): Peck's time to shine for ASU
• Indies/Non-BCS: Irish D faces big challenge
• Pac-10: ASU's Carpenter proving mental mettle
• SEC: McFadden still putting up Heisman numbers
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Winston's future call wouldn't surprise Fisher
- Vick: Florida St.'s Winston 'future of the NFL'
- NFL or Michigan? Harbaugh said to be torn
- Gators QB Harris cited for driving without license