Instant analysis: LSU-Kentucky
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Here's a look at what happened in the first half of the LSU-Kentucky game:
FIRST-HALF ANALYSISTurning point: Chevis Jackson's interception of the rarely-picked Andre' Woodson helped turn a 10-7 LSU lead into a 17-7 advantage and allowed the Tigers to keep the ball for 22 plays in a 23-play stretch. Best call: Another fourth-down gamble that went well for Les Miles. On fourth-and-6 from the Kentucky 30 in the second quarter, Miles blew off the field goal and had Matt Flynn throw the ball for Brandon LaFell. Kentucky cornerback Trevard Lindley was called for pass interference (questionably) resulting in a first down and keeping a touchdown drive alive. Best player in the half: LSU backup running back Charles Scott made a case for more carries by rushing for 91 yards on just five attempts, including a 55-yarder. Three things LSU needs to do:
1. Get some continuity in the passing game. The Tigers are just 6 of 15 throwing the ball and haven't been able to hit a big play.
2. Prevent the big play from Woodson. The Wildcats got back in the game on a 51-yard bomb from Woodson to Steve Johnson -- identical to the play that beat Louisville Sept. 15. LSU needs more pressure on Woodson.
3. Avoid turnovers. LSU is better as long as it doesn't give away anything cheap.Three things Kentucky needs to do:
1. Onside kick to start the second half. The Cats need to try something bold, and they should avoid kicking to speedster Trindon Holliday.
2. Keep hammering away at the running game -- even without Rafael Little, who is out with a thigh bruise. It's not produced much yardage (46 on 17 carries) but it's helping keep the Tigers' defense honest. They don't want to turn it into open season on Woodson.
3. Get some three-and-outs to keep its defense off the field and put the ball back in Woodson's hands.
Check back after the game for the final analysis.
Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at ESPN4D@aol.com.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Mom: Missing Buckeye sent concussion texts
- Texas A&M fires DC Snyder after 7-5 season
- WKU goes for 2, foils Marshall in OT shootout
- Air Force: Returner Lee not in good standing