Police say victims were bound, threatened, at least 2 sexually assaulted

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Authorities have charged two women and
a man with a weekend attack on three North Carolina football
players, which police said was motivated by robbery and included
the sexual assault of at least two players.

Police said the players were attacked early Sunday at their
off-campus apartment. All three were bound with tape, and one of
those charged threatened the players with a knife. None of the
players required medical attention, police said.

Authorities charged Monique Jenice Taylor, 28, Tnika Monta
Washington, 29, and Michael Troy Lewis, 32, with three counts of
kidnapping, three counts of conspiracy to commit a felony and one
count of resisting arrest.

Taylor and Washington also are charged with one count of
first-degree sexual offense. Lewis is also charged with robbery,
possession of stolen goods and assault on government officials.

Glenn Gerding, an attorney for Taylor, said he didn't want to
discuss details of the case outside of court.

"I'm sure once everything comes out in court, we'll be able to
establish her innocence,'' Gerding told The Associated Press.

Prosecutors said the players and the accused went to the
victims' apartment after meeting at a downtown bar.

At a Thursday court hearing, assistant Orange County prosecutor
Morgan Whitney cited a police report and said one of the players
was drunk and was taken to his room, The News & Observer of Raleigh
reported on its Web site.

According to the newspaper, the other two had some consensual
sexual contact with the women, but then became uncomfortable and
told them to stop. When police arrived at the scene, two of the
victims were tied up, wearing boxer shorts, and the hands of the
third victim, who was fully clothed, also were tied, Whitney was
quoted as saying by the newspaper.

At least two players were sexually assaulted, and authorities
were awaiting the final police report to learn if the third was as
well, the News & Observer reported.

Defense attorneys told the court, according to the newspaper,
that the acts were consensual.

Chapel Hill police said Thursday night a supervisor was not
available to discuss the case.

All three defendants initially were jailed on a $500,000 secured
bond, but the bond for Taylor and Belvin's was reduced Thursday to
$50,000. All three remained in the Orange County Jail on Thursday
evening, where officials would not make them available for comment.

"This is a very unusual case," Taylor's attorney, Glenn
Gerding, told WRAL. "Almost unbelievable, at first blush."

Gerding did not immediately return a message seeking comment
from The Associated Press.

Police said they arrested the two women at the scene, while
Lewis surrendered Wednesday after fleeing during a confrontation
with police.

Neither authorities or the university released the players'
names, with the school citing federal privacy laws that govern
educational institutions.

"I am relieved that the players were not injured," said coach
Butch Davis. "We will assist them in any way we can."