Bennett plans to transfer, won't play senior season at Ga. Tech
Bennett, the Yellow Jackets' starter in 2007, plans to transfer though he hasn't told new coach Paul Johnson if he has picked a new school.
"I signed a release for him for whatever school he wants to transfer to," Johnson said Wednesday.
"I haven't seen him since the bowl game, so it would be pretty safe to say he won't be back."
Bennett's decision was not unexpected. He's a drop-back passer and Johnson is bringing an option offense better suited for a mobile quarterback.
Bennett completed 162 of 327 passes for 2,136 yards with seven touchdowns and nine interceptions in 2007. Josh Nesbitt, who played behind Bennett as a freshman, and Calvin Booker will enter spring drills bracketed together atop Tech's depth chart at quarterback.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
- Washington QB Miles suspended for opener
- Bowling Green gets former Baylor WR Rhodes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Youth-Sized Hail Mary Rubber Football