Former Illinois player McPhearson pleads guilty to theft, sentenced
URBANA, Ill. -- Former University of Illinois football player Derrick McPhearson pleaded guilty Friday to stealing a laptop computer from another student's apartment.
McPhearson pleaded guilty to felony theft, and a Champaign County judge sentenced him to 180 days in jail and 30 months of probation. Four counts of residential burglary and another theft charge were dismissed.
Police arrested McPhearson and former Illini player Jody Ellis in March 2007. Officers said they found computers and other high-tech gear in the back of Ellis' car.
Ellis pleaded not guilty and is due in court next month.
Both players were kicked off the team after their arrests.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Auburn's Marshall cited for having marijuana
- ADs for Miss. State, KSU set series on Twitter
- FSU's Wilson suspended after arrest for theft
- FSU's Winston to face media at ACC Kickoff
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Illinois Fighting Illini Blue #45 Football Game Jersey