BCS system leaves long trail of wounded victims
The Bowl Championship Series. The good ole BCS. It's so much better than the old bowl system, in which old men in ugly jackets conspired in smoky rooms to keep the best two teams from playing.
Since 1998, the BCS has given us so many great games and helped us crown a national champion. It's fan-freaking-tastic!
Seems like every conference, BCS or otherwise, recalls a moment it got screwed by the incomprehensible BCS system, which didn't end the politics but did introduce complex arithmetic into a process only a geek could love.
So, before we start cussing, here's a list of the ultimate BCS slights.
1. No. 1 and done: Computers reject top-ranked USC
2. SEC outrage: Undefeated Auburn left out
3. No conference title? No problem!: Nebraska backs into Miami beating
4. The transitive property: Florida State (A), Miami (B) and Washington (C)
5. Texas politickin': Brown lobbies for poll promotion over California
6. Rivalry rematch?: Florida nips Ohio State-Michigan II by .0101
7. Season of the absurd: What happens if everybody keeps losing?
8. Just plain stupid: Kansas loses to Missouri but wins BCS berth
9. Kansas State has the cooties: Wildcats can't buy BCS love
10. Unbeaten and unloved: Non-BCS programs kicked to curb
Ted Miller is a college football writer for ESPN.com. Send your questions and comments to Ted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
- Harwell, nation's No. 2 WR in '11, off to Kansas
- Oregon releases additional docs in NCAA probe
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The BCS at 10
• Maisel: Paradox found
• Low: Best BCS bowl games
• Miller: Best BCS bowl performances SportsNation
• Rank 'em: Best BCS bowl games
• Rank 'em: Best BCS bowl performances
• Chat wrap: Chris Low
• Chat wrap Ted Miller
• Maisel: Say yes to the BCS
• Forde: Say no to the BCS
• Miller: Biggest BCS bowl slights
Dinich: ACC has been a dud in BCS era
Griffin: Big 12 becomes superpower in BCS era
Schlabach: Big East thriving in BCS
Rittenberg: BCS system has been good to Big Ten
Miller: USC dominates Pac-10 in BCS era
Low: SEC successfully navigates BCS system
Rittenberg: No complaints from South Bend
• Chat wrap: Tim Griffin
• Rank 'em: Defining players of the BCS era?
• Rank 'em: Memorable BCS bowl moment?
• Chat: Heather Dinich, 2 ET