Conference USA fines East Carolina; state bureau to investigate incident
GREENVILLE, N.C. -- The State Bureau of Investigation is looking into reports that some police used excessive force on football fans during East Carolina's dramatic win last weekend against West Virginia.
Officials said Friday that the SBI will consider video that shows fans being knocked down and punched by officers as fans rushed the field after the Pirates' 24-3 upset win over the then-No. 8 Mountaineers.
East Carolina is being fined $10,000 by Conference USA after football fans charged the field.
The conference said Friday the school violated a policy that prohibits public access to competition areas until the visiting team and officials are in the locker rooms.
Conference USA said the university also is subject to a possible suspension of future hosting privileges.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Louisville sweetens DC Grantham's contract
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth East Carolina Pirates Purple #5 Football Game Jersey