Hackett listed as an umpire two weeks after hit on Gamecocks QB
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Look who's back officiating a South Carolina football game.
Wilbur Hackett Jr., an Internet sensation for his forearm-first hit on Gamecock quarterback Stephen Garcia two weeks ago, is listed as umpire for Saturday's Tennessee-South Carolina game.
Hackett was a former Kentucky linebacker who got in the way of charging Garcia near the end of the first half of the Gamecocks' 24-17 loss to LSU. Hackett appeared to step into the freshman QB with his right shoulder and forearm.
The Gamecocks eventually scored on the series to take a 17-10 halftime lead.
Hackett's hit was replayed countless times on YouTube.com.
The Southeastern Conference, Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier and LSU coach Les Miles all said Hackett was simply trying to brace himself from contact.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Running back Gordon will return to Badgers
- SEC fines schools for cowbells, rushing field
- North Dakota St. cruises into FCS title game
- Football at Fenway: Irish-BC set 2015 date
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Youth South Carolina Gamecocks #7 Garnet Replica Football Jersey