Penn State backup Devlin decides to transfer
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Pat Devlin plans to transfer from No. 8 Penn State, leaving the Nittany Lions short a backup quarterback headed into the Rose Bowl.
The sophomore informed coach Joe Paterno of his intentions, the team said Wednesday night in a brief statement. It was not clear where Devlin planned to transfer.
Devlin lost a preseason competition for the quarterback job to Daryll Clark, who emerged into a topflight starter running Penn State's spread HD offense.
Devlin saw limited action, though he had one of the biggest scores of the year for Penn State with a 1-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter of the win over Ohio State.
He holds the Pennsylvania career prep passing record with 8,162 yards at Downingtown East.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Clemson, Auburn to face off in 2016, '17
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- OU RB meets with police over alleged assault
- OK State has APR penalty rescinded by NCAA
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Penn State Nittany Lions White #14 Replica Game Football Jersey