Wilson leaves hospital after having surgery for stab wounds
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- University of Illinois linebacker Martez Wilson has left the hospital where he had surgery for two stab wounds.
Illinois sports information director Kent Brown says the 19-year-old Wilson left the hospital in Urbana on Tuesday and is expected to recover from the injuries.
The sophomore from Chicago was hurt early Friday during a fight at a Champaign bar near the Illinois campus.
Brown says Wilson was helping friend and former teammate D'Angelo McCray, who transferred from Illinois to Eastern Illinois this year.
Police have said the stabbing happened after a group of men surrounded another man at the bar. No one has been arrested.
Illinois coach Ron Zook has said he was proud of Wilson for helping a friend in trouble.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- Top QB commit: No 'Johnny Football' pressure
- Cops: Miami LBs admit to sex assault of teen
- USC's Bigelow out for season with torn ACL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Schutt Illinois Fighting Illini Authentic Mini Football Helmet