Wilson leaves hospital after having surgery for stab wounds
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- University of Illinois linebacker Martez Wilson has left the hospital where he had surgery for two stab wounds.
Illinois sports information director Kent Brown says the 19-year-old Wilson left the hospital in Urbana on Tuesday and is expected to recover from the injuries.
The sophomore from Chicago was hurt early Friday during a fight at a Champaign bar near the Illinois campus.
Brown says Wilson was helping friend and former teammate D'Angelo McCray, who transferred from Illinois to Eastern Illinois this year.
Police have said the stabbing happened after a group of men surrounded another man at the bar. No one has been arrested.
Illinois coach Ron Zook has said he was proud of Wilson for helping a friend in trouble.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Grantham opts to stay at L'ville over Raiders
- Penn State president: Freeh report 'not useful'
- Report: EKU player hurt in fight with Wildcats
- Two ex-Vanderbilt players convicted of rape
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Illinois Fighting Illini Blue #45 Football Game Jersey