CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati has filled its defensive coordinator position by hiring Bob Diaco, who was a defensive coach at Virginia.
The Bearcats also promoted two coaches on Wednesday. Defensive backs coach Kerry Coombs was given the title of associate head coach, and special teams coach Mike Elston was elevated to assistant head coach. Both will keep their current roles.
Diaco was on head coach Brian Kelly's staff at Central Michigan in 2005. He takes over a defense that finished 31st nationally in yards allowed last season, but loses 10 starters to graduation.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Cincinnati Bearcats Tailgater Junior-Sized Football
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider