Jones suffers injury in weight room
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse's best defensive player will undergo chest surgery after a freak injury in the weight room.
Syracuse says defensive tackle Arthur Jones sustained a torn left pectoralis muscle while lifting weights on Feb. 23. An MRI confirmed the tear, and surgery is scheduled for next week.
The college says additional information regarding Jones' recovery and activity level will be released as progress warrants.
Jones was a 2008 All-Big East first team selection last season as a junior. He ranks sixth on the Orange career record list for tackles for loss.
Last season, Jones recorded 60 tackles, including 13 for a loss of yards.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
- Washington QB Miles suspended for opener
- Bowling Green gets former Baylor WR Rhodes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New World Graphics Men's Syracuse Orange 2014 Football Schedule Orange T-Shirt