Florida St. president apologizes
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State University president T.K. Wetherell has apologized for an obscene remark about football coach Bobby Bowden's former school.
The outspoken university president, who frequently sprinkles off-color commentary into remarks, referred to Samford University by an obscene term that means stupid or incompetent.
Wetherell wrote Samford's president an apology Wednesday, saying he was embarrassed about the way he referred to the Alabama school.
Wetherell made the comment Tuesday when answering a question about Bowden possibly losing as many as 14 wins as part of an NCAA penalty for an academic scandal that involved 10 sports and 61 athletes.
Bowden has 31 of his 382 career wins at Samford, which is in Birmingham, Ala.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Former Cal AD Barbour hired by Penn State
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- UGA frosh Bellamy faces DUI, speeding charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Florida State Seminoles Black BCS 2013 National Champions Ice Full-Zip Pullover