Erickson: Players broke 'team rule'
"Five or six" Arizona State players have been suspended for violating team rules and won't play Saturday against Idaho State, coach Dennis Erickson announced after practice Tuesday night.
Erickson told the Arizona Republic it will only be a one-game suspension, so the players, whom he refused to name, should return for the Sun Devils' second game against Louisiana-Monroe on Sept. 19.
"It's nothing serious or anything like that," Erickson told the newspaper. "They just broke a team rule."
Erickson had previously suspended starting defensive end James Brooks for three games, which means Brooks won't play at Georgia on Sept. 26.
Also, touted freshman linebacker Vontaze Burfict sat out practice because he still has not been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse. He is not expected to play Saturday.
Ted Miller covers the Pac-10 for ESPN.com.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Alabama's Reed arrested, charged with DUI
- Marshall out of media days after pot citation
- Winston: FSU degree 'very important to me'
- ADs for Miss. State, KSU set series on Twitter
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Arizona State Sun Devils Full-Size Autograph Football