Edwards likely out vs. East Carolina
BOONE, N.C. -- Appalachian State quarterback Armanti Edwards isn't expected to play in Saturday's opener against East Carolina because of a right foot injury from a lawnmower accident last month.
The school said Wednesday evening that sophomore DeAndre Presley will start in Edwards' place against the Pirates.
Edwards was hurt when his foot got caught in the mower at his off-campus residence. Coach Jerry Moore had said he expected Edwards would be recovered in time for the opener, but said Tuesday that it was "really doubtful" the senior would be ready.
The elusive 6-footer burst onto the national scene in 2007 when he led the Mountaineers to an upset of Michigan. Last year he won the Walter Payton Award as the top player in the Football Championship Subdivision.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Penn St. to tab Barbour as new AD
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- TCU's Fields surrenders to assault warrant
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth East Carolina Pirates Purple #2 Football Game Jersey