Gophers' Sherels out with ankle injury
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota starting cornerback Marcus Sherels is out with an ankle injury against No. 8 California.
It's a big loss for the Golden Gophers (2-0), who face one of the nation's highest scoring offenses. The Golden Bears (2-0) are averaging 55 points a game in their first two contests, good for third in the nation. They have 14 pass plays of at least 15 yards this season.
Sherels practiced this week and Minnesota coach Tim Brewster was hoping to have him for the game on Saturday. But the senior leader watched warmups from the sideline with no pads on.
Junior Ryan Collado replaced Sherels in the starting lineup. He started for Sherels last week against Air Force, but Sherels also played in the game.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Winston, McCarron take home top awards
- McCarron: Saban said he's staying at Bama
- Texas' Brown: My situation hasn't changed
- A&M's Manziel ready to take it to next level
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Minnesota Golden Gophers Maroon #9 Football Game Jersey