Strained back sidelines Gronkowski
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Arizona star tight end Rob Gronkowski will miss the rest of the season because of a strained back.
Arizona coach Mike Stoops said after the Wildcats' 27-17 loss at Iowa on Saturday that Gronkowski will have back surgery next week. Stoops says Gronkowski's back isn't at the point where the Wildcats felt it would safe enough for him to play.
Gronkowski, a junior, was a third-team All-American last season after making 47 catches for 672 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Gronkowski didn't play in Arizona's first two games and didn't make the trip to Iowa.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Two ex-Vanderbilt players convicted of rape
- CFP officials won't budge on semis, title dates
- Ex-Heel Ramsay: Suit filed to improve education
- Arkansas' Long re-elected as CFP chairman
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Arizona Wildcats 'bear Down' Vizio Fiesta Bowl Bound Grey T-shirt