Strained back sidelines Gronkowski
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Arizona star tight end Rob Gronkowski will miss the rest of the season because of a strained back.
Arizona coach Mike Stoops said after the Wildcats' 27-17 loss at Iowa on Saturday that Gronkowski will have back surgery next week. Stoops says Gronkowski's back isn't at the point where the Wildcats felt it would safe enough for him to play.
Gronkowski, a junior, was a third-team All-American last season after making 47 catches for 672 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Gronkowski didn't play in Arizona's first two games and didn't make the trip to Iowa.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- OU RB meets with police over alleged assault
- Buckeyes' Miller throwing ahead of schedule
- Manziel A&M jersey expected to fetch $100K
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Arizona Wildcats 'Quick Toss' Softee Football