Brown has been able to practice
Brown suffered a mild concussion after a hit to the helmet early in the first quarter against Marshall last week. He did not return to the game.
The fifth-year senior returned to practice Tuesday with the first-string offense and went through Wednesday's practice with no ill effects, Stewart said. But the team will continue to monitor him throughout the rest of the week.
If Brown can't play, true freshman Geno Smith would make the start. Smith was 15-of-21 for 147 yards and a touchdown in relief of Brown during West Virginia's 24-7 win over Marshall.
The Mountaineers are 5-1 overall, 1-0 in the Big East.
Brian Bennett covers Big East football for ESPN.com.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's West Virginia Mountaineers #8 Blue Football Game Jersey
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider