Williams shelved with sprained ankle
LOS ANGELES -- Receiver Damian Williams will miss Southern California's game against Stanford with a sprained right ankle.
Williams is by far the Trojans' leading receiver with 45 catches for 688 yards and five touchdowns. No other USC player has more than tailback Joe McKnight's 17 catches, and No. 2 receiver Ronald Johnson just returned to the Trojans four games ago after breaking his collarbone before the season.
Williams also returns punts for the Trojans (No. 9 BCS, No. 11 AP). McKnight will return punts against the Cardinal on Saturday, while freshman Brice Butler will start at receiver.
USC should get some help from tight end Anthony McCoy. The Trojans' third-leading receiver is expected to play after missing two games with a sprained ankle.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Wife believes Sandusky 'definitely' innocent
- Musburger, Palmer lead SEC Network team
- Florida banged up entering spring practice
- Vandy hires Utah St.'s Maile as D-line coach
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's USC Trojans #9 Cardinal Football Game Jersey