Eight players suspended from MSU team
Michigan State has suspended eight football players in the wake of a fight at a campus residence hall.
University police have identified 10 suspects in the Nov. 22 incident and hope to identify five more suspects. Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio last week dismissed sophomore running back Glenn Winston and junior safety Roderick Jenrette from the team, citing an unspecified violation of team rules.
Michigan State confirmed Tuesday that both Winston and Jenrette were present during the incident.
The other players present during the incident are: wide receiver Mark Dell, wide receiver B.J. Cunningham, wide receiver Fred Smith, running back Ashton Leggett, cornerback Chris L. Rucker, linebacker Brynden Trawick, nose tackle Ishmyl Johnson and defensive end Jamiihr Williams. Those players have been suspended from all team-related activities.
Dell, Cunningham, Leggett and Rucker all have started games for Michigan State this fall.
A university news release said the players were identified through interviews with victims and witnesses and following a review of on-site video. The investigation is ongoing, and Michigan State police expect to forward their findings to Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III early next week. Dunnings will determine whether any warrants will be issued.
The fight took place during a potluck function sponsored by the Iota Phi Theta fraternity at the residence hall. The previous night, a fight took place during a party sponsored by the same fraternity at The Small Planet, a nightclub near campus. A manager at the club told The Detroit News that football players were involved in the fight.
Dantonio and athletic director Mark Hollis haven't commented publicly about the incident since the investigation started.
Michigan State is scheduled to learn its bowl assignment on Sunday. The Spartans are likely headed to either the Alamo Bowl or Insight Bowl.
Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
- QB Lunt mulls Illinois after visit, sources say
- Former Arkansas QB Mitchell picks NC State
- McCartney back on WVU roster after 6 months