CMU hires Stripling for interim
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. -- Central Michigan has named associate head coach Steve Stripling as interim head football coach.
Stripling will lead the No. 25 Chippewas (11-2) at least through the GMAC Bowl against Troy (9-3), the Sun Belt Conference champion, on Jan. 6 in Mobile, Ala.
Stripling joined the Chippewas coaching staff in 2009 as associate head coach-defense and defensive ends coach. He was defensive line coach at Michigan from 2005-07 and coached previously at Michigan State (2003-04), Louisville (2001-2002), Minnesota (1997-2000) and Indiana (1984-96).
Stripling succeeds Butch Jones, who was hired Wednesday as head coach at Cincinnati. Under Jones, the Chippewas defeated Ohio in the Mid-American Conference title game on Dec. 4. The win lifted Central to its first appearance in the Associated Press Top 25 poll.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns 'shocked, upset' by resignation
- UW coach: Rules claims are 'untrue attacks'
- Report: BC, Irish discussing Fenway game
- Bama LB Dickson suspended for Sugar Bowl
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Central Michigan Chippewas Maroon #8 Replica Football Jersey