Harris to have surgery on hurt thumb
Harris hurt the thumb in mid-November and originally was told surgery wasn't necessary. He hurt the thumb again before Miami's loss in the Champs Sports Bowl, and further evaluation this week showed repair was needed.
Spring practice begins in late February. No decision has been made about his availability for those workouts.
Harris threw for 3,352 yards and 24 touchdowns this season for Miami, which finished 9-4.
The Hurricanes announced Tuesday that Harris would have the surgery.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Florida banged up entering spring practice
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Ex-Iowa player sues over 'rhabdo' injuries
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Miami Hurricanes Replica Football