Smith hired to work with offense
BERKELEY, Calif. -- California has hired former NFL players Akili Smith and Ronnie Bradford as administrative assistants on the coaching staff.
Coach Jeff Tedford said Saturday that Smith will work with the offensive coaches and Bradford will work with the defense.
Smith spent the past two seasons as the quarterbacks coach at Grossmont College in San Diego. He played college ball at Oregon when Tedford was an assistant. He was the third overall pick by Cincinnati in 1999 but lasted only four years in the NFL.
Bradford worked on the defensive staff with the Kansas City Chiefs last season under current Cal defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast. He spent the previous six years with the Broncos. Bradford played 10 seasons in the NFL with Denver, Arizona, Atlanta and Minnesota.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sun Devils promote Norvell to deputy HC
- Lineman Pettway finalizes return to Alabama
- Jackson St. fires coach after 8-1 SWAC record
- Illinois O-coordinator Cubit gets extension
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Cal Golden Bears Blue #5 Football Game Jersey