Backup QB Hillary leaving team
Coach Steve Spurrier said on Wednesday that the sophomore plans to transfer to a lower division school so he can get more playing time. He didn't name any schools Hillary was considering.
Hillary wasn't at practice Wednesday. He was arrested earlier this month and charged as a minor in possession of alcohol after police pulled over his brother in West Columbia. Hillary's lawyer says he plans to ask for a jury trial.
Hillary did not play in 2009. Reed McCollum, the only quarterback other than starter Stephen Garcia to throw a pass for the Gamecocks last season, is also transferring.
Spurrier says freshman Conner Shaw is the backup to Garcia for now.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Adidas inks Louisville to $40M deal
- Veteran Dierdorf back in booth at Michigan
- Watchdog group targets Swinney, Clemson
- Cozart is Weis' choice as Kansas' starting QB
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's South Carolina Gamecocks #7 White Replica Football Jersey