LARAMIE, Wyo. -- After just one season, Wyoming has extended the contract of football coach Dave Christensen by one year through 2014.
Last year, Christensen became the first head football coach in Wyoming history to win a bowl game in his first season. Wyoming defeated Fresno State 35-28 in double overtime in the 2009 New Mexico Bowl.
When Christensen was hired in December 2008, Wyoming signed him to a five-year contract with a base salary of $180,000 a year.
With his one-year extension, Christensen is now under contract until Dec. 31, 2014. His original annual base salary of $180,000 remains unchanged.
Wyoming athletic director Tom Burman says Christensen has returned Wyoming football to a competitive position and re-energized its fan base.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Florida banged up entering spring practice
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Ex-Iowa player sues over 'rhabdo' injuries
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Wyoming Cowboys Grey Legend Football Practice Performance T-Shirt
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider