Copeland was UVa AD from 1987-94
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Former Cleveland Browns lineman and ex-Virginia athletic director Jim Copeland has died. He was 65.
The University of Virginia said Saturday he died at his home in Charlottesville on Friday after a long battle with cancer.
Copeland spent eight years in the NFL, playing guard and center for the Browns from 1967 until 1974. The 6-foot-2, 242-pounder played in college at Virginia.
He was the athletic director at his alma mater from 1987 until 1994. He also was the AD at William & Mary, Utah and SMU.
Copeland was born in Charlottesville, where a funeral is planned for Tuesday.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Running back Gordon will return to Badgers
- SEC fines schools for cowbells, rushing field
- North Dakota St. cruises into FCS title game
- Football at Fenway: Irish-BC set 2015 date
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Cleveland Browns Hypervent Browns Performance T-Shirt