Jordan Wynn plans to throw in practice
The way backup Terrance Cain has played for the 13th-ranked Utes, Whittingham will take his time as Wynn's sprained right thumb continues to heal.
Wynn injured the thumb on his throwing hand early in the season opener against Pittsburgh and has missed the last two games.
Cain completed 20 of 23 passes on Saturday at New Mexico to set a school record for completion percentage in a game. He threw for three touchdowns and ran in another TD against the winless Lobos.
Whittingham says he'll see how Wynn does throwing the ball this week before deciding who to start at quarterback Saturday against San Jose State.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Texas AD: Union push 'smells' of attorneys
- Saban hosts Peyton in visit of 'mutual benefit'
- Source: Joeckel to transfer from A&M to TCU
- Mankato players to play for reinstated coach
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's Utah Utes Crimson Football Charged Cotton T-Shirt