Penn St. loses two starters vs. Illinois
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Short-handed Penn State's injury list keeps growing.
The Nittany Lions lost two more starters to potentially serious injuries in the 33-13 loss Saturday to Illinois when defensive end Eric Latimore hurt his left wrist and safety Nick Sukay injured his pectoral muscle. Both players were hurt in the first quarter.
Another starting end, Pete Massaro, left because of dehydration, and the Nittany Lions were forced to use freshman DaQuan Jones at end with Jack Crawford already shelved for the game because of a right foot injury.
Crawford was hurt midweek in practice, and coach Joe Paterno said after the game he might need surgery.
Penn State also played without two starting linebackers. Michael Mauti and Bani Gbadyu were both sidelined by ankle injuries.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns dismiss 2 for violating team rules
- Bama opens spring practice in search of QB
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Penn State Nittany Lions Blue #28 Football Game Jersey