Joe Paterno lauded by Congress
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State's Joe Paterno has been honored by Congress for his 400th career win.
The U.S. House passed a resolution Wednesday lauding the Hall of Fame coach after the Nittany Lions secured his latest milestone with a come-from-behind victory over Northwestern two weeks ago.
Pennsylvania Congressman Glenn Thompson sponsored the resolution. He says it was appropriate to express support not only for Paterno's record, but the coach's overall achievements on and off the field.
Thompson's district encompasses State College. Thirty-one representatives also signed on as co-sponsors, including Pennsylvania's 18 other U.S. House members.
Penn State plays Indiana on Saturday in Landover, Md.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- Briles on Fisher's critique: Worry about ACC
- Spurrier digs at Swinney, cites wins in rivalry
- FSU coach explains why Winston unpunished
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Penn State Nittany Lions Hail Mary Youth Football