Elbow sidelines FSU's Christian Ponder
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Florida State (No. 21 BCS, No. 20 AP) is going with backup EJ Manuel at quarterback in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game because of Christian Ponder's sore throwing elbow.
Ponder has been plagued by right elbow pain for most of the season and had fluid drained on Sunday. He warmed up with the second team Saturday and at least once clutched his elbow after a throw.
The senior has thrown for 2,038 yards and 20 touchdowns this season, leaving the Seminoles without a key offensive weapon.
Manuel, a sophomore, has played in eight games and started Florida State's win over Clemson when Ponder was sidelined.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Spurrier digs at Swinney, cites wins in rivalry
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- Briles on Fisher's critique: Worry about ACC
- FSU coach explains why Winston unpunished
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Franklin Florida State Seminoles Kids' Deluxe Uniform Set