Brady Hoke gets contract extension
SAN DIEGO -- Leading San Diego State to its first winning season and bowl berth since 1998 earned football coach Brady Hoke a two-year contract extension through 2015 and a raise.
Of course, it helped that a Big Ten team was sniffing around about Hoke's availability even before the final regular-season game.
Hoke will receive an increase in salary and bonuses, increases for his assistants and improvements to practice facilities.
Athletic director Jim Sterk said Monday that the final touches were still being worked out and exact details will be announced later. But he said Hoke will have the chance, with bonuses, to make a little more than $1 million each of the next five seasons.
Hoke was given a five-year contract worth $3,525,000 in December 2008 to replace the fired Chuck Long. Hoke made $675,000 in base pay last year and this year, and had been scheduled to make $700,000 next year, $725,000 in 2012 and $750,000 in 2013.
Hoke was courted recently by Minnesota, which hired Northern Illinois coach Jerry Kill. Hoke was also linked to Colorado and Indiana.
Hoke said he had one conversation with the Gophers.
"We like what we're doing here," he said.
"It's a silly time of year, or whatever you want to call it," he added. "Those things always come up, and if you've had a little bit of success, and we've had a little bit of success -- I mean, we're far, far from where we want to be -- but we haven't even scratched the surface. We have a lot of work to do and a lot of work that we're looking forward to doing here in San Diego."
Hoke was named Mountain West Conference Coach of the Year after leading SDSU to an 8-4 record and a berth in the hometown Poinsettia Bowl against Navy on Dec. 23. SDSU was 4-8 in Hoke's first year.
Hoke previously resurrected the Ball State program, taking the Cardinals to two bowls and posting a 12-1 record in 2008.
Sterk said the money for the extension and improvements will come from an unidentified private donor who has pledged $5 million to the athletic department. Sterk said that donation was in the works before Minnesota contacted Hoke.
Sterk said Hoke's buyout will remain at $1.5 million, although it will eventually drop to $1 million.
"I haven't written a check since 1980," Hoke cracked about the buyout. "And I never brought up my salary. It wasn't about that. I've got a great staff. Those guys do a tremendous job for these kids, making sure these kids get a Division I experience."
Hoke said he wants to keep his group of assistants together.
"We have guys who are very talented at what they do. Don't think that other schools don't call, don't ask," he said. "The one great things about these guys is they like working together. No one has an ego. We all fight it out in that room together on decisions or whatever, but when we're done we're all going to speak with one voice and move forward."
Information from ESPN's Joe Schad and The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Swinney: QB Stoudt will start for Clemson
- Sarkisian: Kessler is still USC's starting QB
- Sources: Record 40th bowl set for Orlando
- NCAA council OKs unlimited meals, snacks