Source: Bobby Petrino to re-up
Arkansas is close to announcing a seven-year contract extension for coach Bobby Petrino, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad late Friday night.
A source told Schad on Saturday that the deal is worth an average of $3.56 million per year.
Petrino led the Razorbacks to a 10-2 record this season and their first BCS bowl bid. Arkansas will play Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 4. Petrino is 23-14 in three seasons in Fayetteville.
Petrino came to Arkansas after less than a season with the Atlanta Falcons. He spent 2003-06 coaching Louisville.
Arkansas may be locking Petrino up to fend off a potential suitor in Florida. Petrino was on the short list of candidates when Urban Meyer was hired by the Gators in 2005.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Former Cal AD Barbour hired by Penn State
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- UGA frosh Bellamy faces DUI, speeding charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Arkansas Razorbacks Tailgater Junior-Size Football