Shane Beamer joining father at Va Tech
BLACKSBURG, Va. -- South Carolina assistant football coach Shane Beamer is leaving the program to join his father, Frank Beamer, at Virginia Tech.
Virginia Tech announced the move Monday.
Shane Beamer spent the past four seasons with the Gamecocks, coaching safeties and serving as special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator.
Steve Spurrier said Beamer had looked for an opportunity to coach for his father's program recently and considered it a good move. A month ago, Spurrier scaled back Beamer's duties to special teams and recruiting.
Spurrier said he'll find the best available special teams coach he can and likely give one of the other South Carolina assistants the duties of recruiting coordinator.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- N'western players set for historic union vote
- Paterno to have new statue in State College
- Plan could give big conferences more say
- Ex-BC player charged in homeless man attack
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Schutt Virginia Tech Mini Authentic Football Helmet