Volunteer collapses, dies during game
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A volunteer assistant in Ohio State football's strength and conditioning program collapsed and died while playing in a pickup basketball game in the team's practice facility on Friday.
Jake Nickle, a former football player at Capital University, was stricken and fell on the Les Wexner Football Complex's basketball court. He was transported to the Ohio State Medical Center where he was pronounced dead, according to university spokesman Dan Wallenberg.
Originally from Marysville, Ohio, Nickle was a defensive end at Capital through the 2009 season. He began at Ohio State in January as a volunteer working with the Buckeyes' strength and conditioning coaches.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Big 12 chief rips NCAA, says 'cheating pays'
- Briles on Fisher's critique: Worry about ACC
- FSU coach explains why Winston unpunished
- Top WR picks Auburn over USC, Tide, OSU
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Ohio State Buckeyes Grey Logo V-Neck T-Shirt